- Academics & Programs
- Faculty & Staff
- Tuition & Aid
- News & Events
Master of Professional Studies
Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science
The MPS degree provides library, information, knowledge, archival and related professionals with the opportunity to
- deepen their knowledge in particular areas of specialized study,
- undertake broader-based study in areas of interest that may cross disciplinary boundaries and
- advance their career opportunities with a second master's degree.
The degree is particularly relevant to professionals who earned a master's degree in library science, library and information science or a related degree more than 10 years ago or who would like to expand their competencies to take on new roles in the workforce.
Students may choose to pursue a focused MPS (concentrating on one or two areas of LIS) or a customized program (broad-based) MPS.
Students may earn up to two certificates toward the focused MPS degree in the following areas:
- Archival and Cultural Heritage Resources
- Data and Knowledge Management
- Digital Curation
- Digital Libraries
- Web Design
- Youth Services
While the same course may count toward two certificates simultaneously, the MPS still requires a minimum of 30 credit hours.
The Focused MPS
- Students concentrate on one or two (maximum) areas within LIS
- The focused MPS requires a core of at least five courses (or 15 credit hours) for each area of focus
- Courses may be drawn from GSLIS offerings and/or from other graduate programs within Dominican University or (with prior permission) another accredited university.
- Courses taken for a Dominican GSLIS certificate of advanced study (post MLIS) taken within five years of admission to the MPS program may be applied to the MPS degree. Only one such previously earned certificate of advanced study may be so applied.
- Up to two new (not previously earned) Dominican GSLIS certificates may be earned as part of the focused MPS degree.
- The degree offered for the focused MPS is awarded as, for example, (1) a Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science—Youth Literature (one area of focus) or (2) a Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science—Archives and Management (two areas of focus), etc.
The Customized Program MPS
- The customized program MPS requires a core of at least five courses (or 15 credit hours) drawn from GSLIS offerings
- The remaining five courses (or 15 credit hours) may be drawn from GSLIS and/or from other graduate programs within Dominican University graduate programs or (with prior permission) other accredited universities.
- The MPS degree offered for the customized program MPS is awarded as a Master of Professional Studies in Library and Information Science. Specific areas of focus are only listed on the focused version of the MPS degree.
The 30-credit Master of Professional Studies course of study requires approval by the student's faculty advisor who will:
- advise the student on selecting either the focused or customized program version of the MPS degree
- approve the courses required for degree completion
On occasion, students may have to obtain supplemental departmental, school, or "other" university approval to take certain courses where such courses are offered by GSLIS but require a prerequisite, another graduate program within Dominican University, or another university.
- maintenance of a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- completion of the degree within six years and filing an Application for Graduation by the filing deadline with the Office of the Registrar the semester before the anticipated graduation date
- a thesis is not required